Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Affirmative Action

"I don't think I should get a job I don't deserve over a white man, but if its tie...fuck em." Chris Rock

First I'd like to thank all you high school and college students for breaking the mold. The link I posted on Facebook with the caption "post about marijuana" led to The Business Behind Getting High being the most popular post yet.





This pretty much says it all


Right now I'm writing a paper for my business ethics class on affirmative action. I'm supposed to determine whether it is morally right in certain situations for a company to set a quota for how many minorities they hire. At first glance this sounds outrageously immoral but upon logically analyzing the situation it seems to make perfect sense in some cases, specifically in those pertaining to larger societal discriminations that limit the opportunity for minorities to educate themselves to the point where they can join the skilled labor force. I've always believed in reparations but writing a check to the disadvantaged doesn't do anything to correct the broken system in place. Instead I think reparations should be provided through educational opportunities where people have an actual chance to better themselves. At this point I am putting off this paper so fervently that I've resorted to still writing about affirmative action but in a different medium.
I realize people hate engaging in almost any internet activity that doesn't increase their immediate social capital but I'd love to hear people's opinions on this. If you don't know what I mean by social capital read my post The Whopper Sacrifice

No comments:

Post a Comment