Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"You Don't Work, You Don't Eat" - Jesus


(another blogosphere snipe from mis Maggie Gray)

Here's a Stephen Colbert interview with conservative strategist Mary Matalin. There is something about this woman that sends chills down my spine. Her "Give a man a fish, teach a man to fish" reference bothers me in so many ways I'm not sure where to start.

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Mary Matalin
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorHealth Care Reform


First off, Jesus never said that nor is it in the bible. The quote she was trying to incorrectly apply was actually said 400 years before Jesus by Lao Tzu (thanks comment section of video).
Second, if that quote was to be used by anyone as manipulative rhetoric it should be liberals. When you say teach a man to fish that implies sacrificing your own resources to help someone else better themselves. I would consider that quote more supportive of better public schools than free market economics. Maybe she should have said "Catch as many fish as you can, sell them, invest in some boats and nets then catch all the fish and under sell your competitors. Now that your fellow fishermen have no lively-hood, pay them the lowest wage possible to catch more fish for you than that wage is worth. Now give somebody a fish so you look charitable."

I was initially excited to hear he was interviewing a well respected conservative strategist. Unfortunately, as Colbert points out, she does a great job of saying absolutely nothing throughout the entire interview. His lead in to the interview says it all "I'll be interviewing conservative strategist...I'll ask her if she came up with "NO"."
No seems to be the official stance of the conservative party these days. I've always been more of a free market guy myself but at this point I find myself so alienated by their hysteric rhetoric that supporting them seems laughable.

1 comment:

  1. this is great dude, hahaha, i love how the fish story panned out. you forgot the part where you make up fish that dont exist and sell them too.

    ReplyDelete